Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Long Break Time


It's been a looooong while since I've been here.  Last time, the husband and I were living in a one bedroom apartment, in upstate NY, and both had jobs.  Now, we're settled into Northern AZ and neither one of us have employment.  What a twist, huh?  

I've taken this time throughout the traveling and downtime to read, read, and read.  It feels good to get back into the swing of things (reading wise). 

I just want to take the time and throw out there some of my favorite websites that have to do with book and reading... maybe we can become friends?! :)

goodreads.com - Great site that allows you to show what you're reading, how fast you're reading it, and connect with friends.


paperbackswap.com
- Love this site!  So far, I've sent 19 books out and received 22 in return.  You pay Media Mail to send a book to someone requesting - but in return you receive a book for free! :)



bookcrossing.com
- Just recently came acrossed this one.  What a lovely site.  You know how you can track dollar bills on wheresgeorge.com?  It's the same concept but for books.  I've already sent 3 out in the world with the special code... can't wait to see where they end up! :)



bookswim.com
- Netflix for books.  I used this site ALOT when I lived in DC because I was never able to get to the library before it closed. Lifesaver.  Ultimately - too expensive when rates start at $24/mo for 3 books at a time with unlimited turn around.



Since 2012 - I've finished 6 books towards my 24 book goal for the year.
- Crazy Aunt Purl's: Drunk, Divorced & Covered in Cat Hair by Laurie Perry... she also has a great site (crazyauntpurl.com) that I had not heard prior to reading the book. 
- The Other Woman by Victoria Zackheim.  I got lost in some of the stories (mainly due to writing style) and was easily able to skip those chapters and move on.
- Candy Girl by Diablo Cody.  Wasn't AS GOOD as I had hoped it to be, but still an light/easy read.
- The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins - This is one book that I dreaded reading, but it was on the table for the local book club I'm in.  It pleasantly surprised me.  Enough that I'm going to read the remaining 2 books soon and go see the movie!  
- MWF seeking BFF by Rachel Bertsche - LOVED everything about this book.
- I Don't Know How She Does It by Allison Pearson - read it because I saw the movie was coming out on Redbox.  What a dud of a book and even worse movie.  Torture at times. lol.


Well... the library opens in 10 min - so I'm going to head out the door to pick up Mindy Kaling's book: Is everyone hanging out without me? (and other concerns)... can't wait to read it! :)


- Sara.

2 comments:

  1. So have you tried Catching Fire?

    LOVE this poster/sign.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tell ya what... I FLEW through the first two books, but this third one - it's really got me down. I can barely make it through a chapter a night, it's not grabbing me the way the first two did. ugh.

    I just checked my GoodReads account and it shows that I've been reading this book for 10 days and I'm only on page 152. lol.

    How about you? Did you like the 2nd and 3rd one?

    ReplyDelete